Join the Green Parade
(information from our SEEDs group)
This year marks the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day. What better way to celebrate the gains that we’ve made, and to renew our commitment to preserving the environment than to have a parade…a Green Parade!
GREEN and fun-loving people are invited to take part in the first annual Greater Green Bay Green Parade.
Organizers would like to invite you, your school, business, or organization to participate in this community event.
Rules of the Game
Since this is a Green Parade it will be primarily a fossil fuel-free event. So ditch the truck and flatbed trailer and use your bike, your feet, and other green alternatives to transport your green-themed float. Electric and solar powered cars and scooters, vegetable oil-fueled cars, hybrids and Smart cars, bicyclists, pedi-cabs, rickshaws, roller bladers, pedestrians – anything eco-friendly.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
We encourage floats to be constructed with recycled or reused materials, or materials that can be recycled later. Let your imagination run wild! Visit resale and surplus stores and keep your eyes open for inexpensive ways to make your eco-themed float. Recycling containers will be available at the end of the parade so you can recycle your float and props.
• Cut cardboard boxes into shapes and designs or bend chicken wire into shapes and cover with paper.
• Cover cardboard or wood with water-based paint to add color.
• Cover the float surface with natural materials such as flowers, coffee beans, rice, seeds or leaves.
• Use, paper, aluminum foil and cans, and plastic bottles to construct your float.
• Hook wagons together to create a train, snake, worm, or other multiple-piece float.
• Build your base across two side-by-side wagons, shopping carts or dollies to create a wider float.
• Build your base on an electric golf cart or on top of a hybrid car.
• Build your base on 2 x 4s so people can carry your float.
The Greater Green Bay Earth Week Coalition will award prizes to entrants in the following categories:
• Most Creative Entry
• Best Use of Recycled Materials
• Best Environmental Message
• Most Outrageous
The parade will be downtown Green Bay in the Broadway District. Not sure where we will be starting yet but we will end up at Leicht Park. Not a very long route due to the fact that everything is “green powered.”
Groups must register for a spot in the parade by April 1st. Please complete the registration and send to Jodi Arndt, 231 South Adams St, Green Bay, WI 54301 or via e-mail to email@example.com.
Type of Entry:_____________________________________________________
Estimated Number of Marchers:_______________________________________